Gas Safety Certifcates

Sunday, May 1st, 2011

Service Maintenance Check Certificate

Your Gas Safe registered engineer may give you gas safety information to show your gas appliances are working safely.

After a Gas Safe registered engineer has fitted or serviced your gas appliance, they will often leave you with a report, which explains what checks they did.

This report may be issued as a gas safety record, sometimes referred to as a gas safety certificate depending on the job you have asked them to do. It isn’t always a legal requirement for your engineer to give you this type of information, but many Gas Safe registered engineers will provide it or similar.

The gas safety information tells you that the gas appliance or gas fitting has been checked to see if it is working safely and meets the correct safety standards. This information may also tell you when you next need to service the appliance.

It’s important to get your appliances regularly serviced to make sure they are working efficiently and safely. You should also have a gas safety check done on all gas fittings and appliances every year.

Do you live in a rented property?

Did you know that your landlord has legal responsibilities when it comes to gas safety?

If you rent a property, ask your landlord for a copy of the current Gas Safety record. This record shows that gas appliances have had an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Landlords must also maintain gas appliances, so check the date when yours were last serviced as well.

Learn about what other steps you should be taking to make sure the home you rent is gas safe.

Are you a landlord?

Landlords must be able to provide their tenants with an up-to-date Gas Safety record.

By law, landlords must have all gas appliances serviced regularly, normally once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. The Gas Safe registered engineer will provide a Gas Safety record upon completion of the check.

Learn about what other steps you should be taking to make sure the property you let is gas safe.

What information does the Landlords Gas Safety record contain?

As a minimum, the record of a gas safety check must contain:

• Description and location of each appliance and/or flue checked.
• Name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the check.
• Date on which the appliance and/or flue was checked.
• The address of the property at which the appliance and/or flue is installed.
• The name and address of the landlord (or his agent where appropriate).
• Any defect identified and any action required or taken to fix it.
• Confirmation of the results of operational safety checks carried out on the appliances.

Are a gas safety check and a service the same thing?

Not quite. A service includes a thorough clean of the appliance as well as the gas safety checks.

For a gas safety check or a service, essential safety checks are done to make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use. These checks include:

• Checking the flue or chimney to make sure the products of combustion (fumes) are being safely removed to outside.
• Checking there is an adequate supply of fresh air so the gas burns properly.
• Checking the appliance is burning the gas properly.
• Checking all safety devices are working properly and shutting the appliance off if a fault occurs.

Are you a homeowner?

Building Regulation Compliance certificates

Since April 2005, there has been a requirement under the Building Regulations (England & Wales) to notify building works (including the installation/commission of some gas appliances homes).

For further information on what building work should be notified under these regulations, please visit the website. Gas Safe registered businesses are able to carry out this notification for you through a self-certification process available through Gas Safe Register. 

If gas appliances are notified through this system, as the homeowner you will receive either a Declaration of Safety certificate or a Building Regulation Compliance certificate. 

To make sure that you are receiving the correct certificate you can view examples of both the Declaration of Safety certificate and the Building Regulation Compliance certificate online. In the UK and Isle of Man any gas safety record given to you after 1 April 2009 will only be valid if the engineer is registered with Gas Safe Register. In Northern Ireland and Guernsey it will only be valid after 1 April 2010.

Contact Square Services for more information on 0208 226 5678 (phone), 0752 535 5005 (mobile) or

Tagged in: , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share